Since you need to spend this period at home and probably alone (as much as possible), these suggestions will strengthen your immune system and they are easily prepared. They will not only satisfy your appetite but also help for a faster recovery.
We wish you a quick recovery.
Grocery List for Covid-19 Patients
- Fresh spinach: Rich in Thiamine and Niacin which are able to renew the damaged cells in our body.
- Chard: Rich in vitamins K and C, good for cough.
- Broccoli: Strengthens the immune system, helps our body to remove toxins.
- Pumpkin: Contains Alpha and Beta Carotene (antioxidant), supports the body's immune system and also contains vitamins A and C, which support the body defense system.
- Cabbage: Raw Cabbage Juice and Freshly Squeezed Apple Juice will give your stomach sense of comfort since it’s exposed to many drugs during this treatment period.
- Apple: It is a powerful source of vitamin C that our body cannot produce itself. It strengthens the immune and defense system.
- Carrot: Good for stomach and intestines. It is good for cough and increase expectorates.
- Red Pepper: Relieves pain, strengthens the immune system, increases body resistance.
- Green Pepper: Contains antioxidants, and a rich source of vitamin C.
- Tomato: Rich in Vitamin C, tomato strengthens the immune system and protects the body against influenza and similar viral diseases.
- Orange: Vitamin C in orange enables white blood cells to function stronger and thus helps prevent infections caused by viruses.
- Lemon: Lemon, a source of vitamin C, which is helpful in respiratory disorders.
- Garlic: A source of zinc, vitamin A, B1 and C is also it is a powerful antioxidant. With its antibiotic effects, it strengthens the body's immune system by fighting infections.
- Onion: An effective expectorant, and also an antioxidant.
- Ginger: Has pain relief effect. It is good for the heart and respiratory tract. It strengthens the immune system and is effective against infections.
- Turmeric: Has pain relief effect, it is good for muscle and joint pain. It is also an anti-inflammatory.
- Grain Sumac: You can soak sumac seeds in water and add it later to your salads, soups and meals. It is good for lung infections.
- Licorice: Licorice root, which reduces a fever and also the pain you may feel due to damage happened to your cells, will also protect your stomach against many drugs you use during this period.
- Tahini: It is both a protector for the stomach and protects the body against the toxic effects of drugs.
- Banana: Contains tryptophan, which is necessary for the production of serotonin. Thus, you will sleep more comfortably; try it 2-3 hours after eating dinner.
- Fava Bean: It is good for cough, it strengthens the immune system. Since contains zinc, it has protective effect in lung diseases such as pneumonia.
- Green Lentil: There are studies that prove the lectin protein contained in it suppresses the Sars-Cov virus.
- Chickpea: 150 grams of chickpea has 2.5 grams of Zinc. You can cook it, add it to your salads, boil it and consume it as a snack.
- Oatmeal: Strengthens your immune system because of selenium.
- They contain Raw Pumpkin Seeds / Raw Sunflower Seeds / Raw Almond / Raw Hazelnut / Walnut: Contains zinc, Vitamin E and many minerals which strengthen the immune system.
- Echinacea Tea: There are studies showing that Ekinazia extracts are protective against previous Sars-Cov and Mars Cov viruses. A cup of echinacea tea in the morning and evening will be effective in healing your throat infections as well.
- Green Tea: Contains an antioxidant called polyphenol that helps fight infection.
- Kefir: Due to its positive effect on the immune system, it is recommended to consume kefir everyday, which is a powerful source of probiotics.
- Pineapple: There are studies showing that the Bromelain contained in Pineapple can be effective as an antiviral agent against covid 19. It is blood thinner.
- Turkey: Helps protect immune functions as it is a valuable source of zinc.
- Fish: Omega 3 is one of the unborn fatty acids that cannot be produced by the body and can be taken from outside with food. Omega 3 has an immune system strengthening effect.
- Dried Apricot: Supports your immune system with its vitamin A content.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Cold pressed olive oil strengthens the immune system.
- Beef Marrow Bone: It is a source of abundant protein, collagen, A, B12, E, iron and phosphorous. It also strengthens the immune system.
- Aloe Vera Gel: Stores vitamins and minerals in the body. It has germicidal effect and helps to cleanse the liver.
- Water: In order to help body to remove toxins, it is important to drink enough water every day. You can calculate your daily water consumption as, Water per unit of body weight: 30 - 35 ml/kg or 0.46 - 0.54 fl oz/lb. For example, a 70 kg person can speed up the excretion of the drug by drinking 70X35 = 2450 ml or 2.5 liters of water per day
Istanbul Baritric Center,
General Director Demet Ella / Dietitian Mahsa Milani